Wolverhampton Health Advocacy Complaints Service

Although most people using the health service are happy with their care and treatment, things can sometimes go wrong. If you’re not satisfied with the service you’ve experienced from a hospital, doctor, dentist, local surgery or any other NHS provider, you are entitled to complain about it. 

Talk to us. Make your voice count.

Who Is The Service For?

By law, anyone who wishes to complain about an NHS service is entitled to receive advocacy support to help them make their complaint.

Wolverhampton Health Advocacy Complaints Service (WHACS) is free, confidential, and independent and available to all residents of Wolverhampton. We help people understand what their options are and support them through the NHS complaints process to ensure they get the best possible resolution. We provide information and support to help people understand their rights and make informed choices when making a complaint.

Diverse People Multi Ethnic Variation Casual Concept

What Support Does An Advocate Provide?

An advocate provides free, confidential and independent support, and will provide you with information to help you make informed choices to help you navigate through the NHS complaints process. Every person who accesses the service will have different needs and every complaint is different which is why the service adapts the approach it takes to each case and tailors the support it provides to meet individual needs.

You decide the level of support you need and an advocate will work with you to ensure you get the best possible outcome to your complaint.

praktikantin bearbeitet fotos am computer

What services are included in NHS Complaints Advocacy?

All Services which are provided or funded by the NHS such as:
» GP’s
» Hospital staff
» Pharmacy staff
» Opticians
» Community Therapists such as Physiotherapy
» NHS social care (nursing homes or home-based care)

our Advocate’s role


The Advocate’s role is to:

  • Explore the options available to you at each stage of the complaint’s procedure
  • Answer your questions to help you make informed decisions
  • Help you to write effective letters to the right people
  • Prepare you for any meetings (including ensuring that any necessary evidence and other material are available) and attend with you if required
  • Contact and speak to third parties, on your request
  • Monitor the progress of your complaint, ensuring it progresses in a timely manner
  • Discuss response letters received to make sure you are satisfied with the outcome
  • Assist you with submissions to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Conseil senior, donation, heritage


An Advocate cannot:

  • Give you legal or medical advice
  • Provide counseling
  • Help you complain about a private healthcare provider
  • Get an NHS employee disciplined
  • Provide a secretarial service

Not everyone making a complaint about the NHS will need an advocate. Sometimes, you may just need some information. If you decide you want to make a complaint yourself, you may find our Self-Help Information Pack useful.

zwei frauen in einer besprechung geben sich die hand zur begrüßung



How Do I Get Support From An Advocate?

If you decide that you would like the support of an advocate, please complete and return our consent form either by email:advocacy@weareecs.co.uk or post to WHACS, Regent House,  Bath Avenue Wolverhampton, WV1 4EG

You can also make a referral for someone else, but please get their permission first. If you need further information or support, call 07732 683447 (Lines are open between 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday. An answerphone operates outside of these times).

For more information or to complete a consent form so that we are able to provide you with Advocacy support use the links below. Please note that for Advocacy support you will need to complete the consent form and the Equality and Diversity form:

WHACS Self Help Information Pack
WHACS Consent Form
WHACS Equality and Diversity Form
Diverse People Multi Ethnic Variation Casual Concept